With the ever changing Australian media landscape, there are numerous publications that we, as PR practitioners, should be reading in order to keep our fingers on the media pulse and track what other brands and agencies are doing in the communication space.
As an account manager who moved to Sydney from London two and a half years ago, I didn’t have a strong knowledge of the key marketing and media publications in Australia. These are my recommended media must-reads to keep abreast of industry news. For anyone new to PR in Australia this is a great starting list.
All of the following papers have specific media sections that cover everything relating to the media landscape as well as current brand and agency news.
- Australian Financial Review (Monday)
- The Australian (Monday)
- Sydney Morning Herald (Friday)
- The Age (Friday)
- Marketing – A monthly magazine that includes comprehensive, informative coverage on a range of topics including database marketing, sponsorship, PR, sales and advertising.
- BRW – A weekly magazine that provides insightful, up-to-date news and commentary on the economy, business and investment in Australia. The magazine focuses on success, highlighting business strategies, investments and entrepreneurialism at work.
- B&T – A fortnightly magazine for the marketing, advertising, media and public relations industries. Content includes news, news analysis, features and campaign reviews. Ensure that you are subscribed to their daily emails for all the latest in brand campaigns and media changes.
- Ad News – Adnews is a fortnightly print publication focused on the advertising, marketing and media industries. It covers news, news analysis, trends pieces, comment and opinion from industry experts, industry leader profiles, trendspotting and market segment reports. Once again, make sure you’re subscribed to their daily emails.
- Mumbrella – Edited by Tim Burrowes, Mumbrella is a discussion of everything under Australia’s media and marketing umbrella.
- Social Diary – Launched in 2005 by Tiffany Farrington, Social Diary is a members-only website for the PR industry. It provides a calendar for the PR industry to log upcoming media events in Australia and NZ, particularly fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and social events. Never plan an event without consulting Social Diary to ensure it doesn’t clash with any others!
- The Media Guardian – While this is a UK site, it’s a great one to read to see what other international brands are doing and how the media landscape is changing globally.
- Smart Company – A free news, information and resource site for Australia’s entrepreneurs, small and medium business owners and business managers to help keep them ahead of their competition. Their writers have many years of experience reporting and giving insight into running a business, rather than just a communications focus.
Too many to mention but here are a few of the reads I find most insightful:
What have I missed that you would add to this list?
Posted by Sharonne Lipman